Sunday, September 17, 2017

Robin Merrow MacCready

Robin Merrow MacCready is the author of Buried, recipient of the Edgar Award for Best YA novel. She teaches reading and writing to middle school students, and lives in Maine with her family.

MacCready's latest YA novel is A Lie for a Lie.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
My reading list is a combination of books for kids and whatever my current writing project requires. At school I’m reading Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos. This book is set in the sixties and is partially based on the author’s life, though obviously (and hysterically) exaggerated. There’s nobody who does cringeworthy growing pains better than Gantos. It’s a great read aloud and has won numerous awards, including the 2012 Newbery for best Children’s Book.

I’m also reading Took by Mary Downing Hahn. I’m not far in, but it promises to be creepy story of family, fear, and change.

My current work-in-progress takes place in the mid-19th century, so I’m reading and researching about that time. American Bloomsbury by Susan Cheever is a fascinating read about Concord, Massachusetts and the very creative cluster of artists that lived there during that time. The Alcotts, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Margaret Fuller, Henry David Thoreau, and Ralph Waldo Emerson were friends and neighbors in Concord during a time when they produced some of their best works. It was so beautifully written that I didn’t want it to end!
Visit Robin Merrow MacCready's website.

My Book, The Movie: A Lie for a Lie.

The Page 69 Test: A Lie For A Lie.

--Marshal Zeringue