Thursday, August 3, 2017

Sheena Kamal

Sheena Kamal was born in the Caribbean and immigrated to Canada as a child. She holds an HBA in political science from the University of Toronto, and was awarded a TD Canada Trust scholarship for community leadership and activism around the issue of homelessness. Kamal has also worked as a crime and investigative journalism researcher for the film and television industry. She lives in Vancouver, Canada, and enjoys beaches and Dark ‘n’ Stormys.

Kamal's new novel is The Lost Ones.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I devoured Hunger by Roxane Gay a few weeks ago. It was sublime. A tough read, but an immersive one, as well. Gay one of my favourite writers and I have a soft spot for her essays—so this memoir is exactly the kind of book I’d lose myself in.

At the moment, I’m simultaneously reading Fever by Megan Abbott and Restless by William Boyd.

I’ve been on an Abbott kick recently because her thrillers are so intricate, delving into the lives of girls and women in a way that tugs at me on a visceral level. She’s such a powerful writer.

I picked up Restless because someone had recommended Boyd’s Sweet Caress to me, and it did not disappoint. It has possibly the best last sentence of any book I’ve ever read. I thought that because Restless is more connected to the genre I write in, it would be great to see how Boyd tackles a spy thriller.
Visit Sheena Kamal's website.

--Marshal Zeringue