Thursday, April 6, 2017

Steph Post

Steph Post is the author of A Tree Born Crooked (2014) and Lightwood (2017) as well as a short story writer, reader, teacher and dog lover (among many other things...).

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Post's reply:
I’m kind of a spaz when it comes to reading, my tastes are all over the place, all the time, but here are a few books I’ve recently read that I think need to be on everyone’s radar.

World, Chase Me Down by Andrew Hilleman

Hilleman’s fictional account of the real turn-of-the-century kidnapper Pat Crowe was as fascinating as it was well-written. I can get cranky about first person narrators, but Hilleman nails Crowe’s voice and brings the American anti-hero to life. Part Western, part courtroom drama, part lyrical exploration, World, Chase Me Down was enthralling from the first to the last page.

The Granite Moth by Erica Wright

I missed this novel when it debuted last year, but I’m so glad that it finally caught up with me. Wright’s quirky mystery/thriller of chameleon private eye Kat Stone is funny, entertaining and satisfying. The Granite Moth goes beyond the classic detective novel with Stone’s self-deprecating wit and a wildly colorful cast of mobsters and drag queens.

The River of Kings by Taylor Brown

Admittedly, I was already a fan of Taylor Brown’s work from his short story collection In the Season of Blood and Gold and his debut novel Fallen Land, but Brown’s sophomore novel really raised the bar. The River of Kings, with three interweaving narratives running from the sixteenth century to present day and all up and down Georgia’s Altamaha river, is a sweeping epic of history and family. Brown’s prose is stunning and evocative and The River of Kings is sure to make waves this year.
Visit Steph Post's website.

--Marshal Zeringue