Tuesday, August 19, 2014

April Genevieve Tucholke

April Genevieve Tucholke digs classic movies, red-headed villains, big kitchens, and discussing murder at the dinner table. She and her husband Nate Pedersen live in Oregon at the edge of a forest.

Tucholke's new novel is Between the Spark and the Burn, the sequel to Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I listen to a lot of audiobooks, and I’m currently listening to Connie Willis’s To Say Nothing of the Dog, which is a delightful comic science fiction classic, styled after Jerome K. Jerome’s Three Men In a Boat (with a bit of time travel thrown in). It’s a purely pleasant summer read, clever and droll, no drama, no tragedy. I’m also listening to Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (for the fourth time). It’s one of my absolute favorite books, and the narrator, Simon Prebble, is stunning. Susanna Clarke’s writing is very dark and very deadpan. Is there a better combination?

I just started reading The Quick by Lauren Owen as well—I love gothic horror. I also try to reread a few childhood favorites every summer--I’m rereading On Fortune’s Wheel by Cynthia Voigt and The Ghost Belonged to Me by Richard Peck. They are both excellent and well written. Voigt's book is thoughtful and wise, and Peck's is genuinely scary in parts. Perfect summer fare.
Learn more about the book and author at April Genevieve Tucholke's website.

My Book, The Movie: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

--Marshal Zeringue