Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sally Cabot

Sally Cabot lives in Brewster, Massachusetts, with her husband, Tom. A lifelong resident of New England, she is active in the local historical society and creates tours that showcase the three-hundred-year history of her village.

Her new novel is Benjamin Franklin's Bastard.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading.  Cabot's reply:
I’ve just finished reading the latest book by one of my favorite authors, Elinor Lipman, The View from Penthouse B. Ms. Lipman’s book are deceptively easy reads that leave one pondering the greater questions long after the cover is closed (or the “off” key is pressed), which is both a delight and a curse for a fellow writer. I can escape without undo strain to a new place, but sometimes I have trouble leaving that place and returning to the work at hand.

As a writer of historical fiction it might at first appear that Ms. Lipman and I would have little in common, but The View from Penthouse B being a work about a widow, and on reading that Ms. Lipman was recently widowed, I imagine her engaging in some of the same struggles that I do, choosing how much fact to include among the fiction. Do I dare go one outrageous step further and compliment myself by saying we share a similar comedic sense? I think so – after all, I’ve been hanging out with Benjamin Franklin for over three years now.
Visit Sally Cabot's Facebook page.

My Book, The Movie: Benjamin Franklin's Bastard.

The Page 69 Test: Benjamin Franklin's Bastard.

--Marshal Zeringue