Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kate Watterson

Kate Watterson grew up on a steady diet of mystery/suspense novels. If it involves murder and intrigue, she is bound to be hooked. Watterson also writes award-winning historical novels as Emma Wildes.

Her new novel is Frozen.

Not so long ago I asked the author about what she was reading. Watterson's reply:
Well, don’t faint with surprise, but I'm reading John Sandford’s Storm Prey. I was born in Minnesota and grew up vacationing in Wisconsin, so his stories always draw me. I’m a huge fan. Lucas Davenport is an interesting hero, too. The imperfections in his character are very realistic and human, and what I really admire about Sandford in general is his ability to be very gritty but in a way that does not keep me awake at night.

Part of the reason I do not watch the evening news if I can help it.

But I love to read…well, everything. I recently revisited Mary Stewart’s The Crystal Cave. A woman writing in first person from a male point of view…really? And done so brilliantly. It was written many years ago but there is a reason we call unforgettable books classics.

The novel sitting next to my desk right now, begging for my attention? A Bad Day for Sorry by Sophie Littlefield. On a second reading, I do find I take away more from a book. Littlefield in general has a compelling voice and a wicked sense of humor I really like. And if you haven’t read Hank Phillippi Ryan’s suspense novels, word of advice, you are missing out…
Visit Kate Watterson's website.

My Book, The Movie: Frozen.

The Page 69 Test: Frozen.

--Marshal Zeringue