Thursday, September 1, 2011

Michael Wiley

Author of the Joe Kozmarski mysteries – including the PWA/SMP prize-winning and Shamus-award finalist The Last Striptease and the critically acclaimed The Bad Kitty Lounge and A Bad Night’s SleepMichael Wiley grew up on the Chicago streets where he sets his books and lives now in northeast Florida.

Last month I asked him what he was reading. His reply:
In July, I did a book event called Hard-Boiled Night at the Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scottsdale, Arizona, with three other writers whose books I love and respect: Harry Dolan, Thomas Kaufman, and Duane Swierczynski. As one might imagine with a group like this, the conversation was lively – a little livelier and it wouldn’t have been pretty, but, as it was, it was pretty, almost as pretty as, in Raymond Chandler’s words, a blonde who could make a bishop kick a hole in a stained glass window.

But the conversation was great, and I came away wanting to read and re-read my co-eventers’ books, especially Harry’s new Very Bad Men, Thomas’s new Steal the Show, and Duane’s new Fun and Games. So, I read them and loved them and then turned back to their earlier books.

On my nightstand now: Duane’s The Wheelman. No one writes it faster, takes more daring hairpin turns, or pumps more energy into a sentence than Duane. No one else robs, re-robs, kills, and re-kills like his characters. The Wheelman is candy-coated caffeine, and I’m loving it.
Visit Michael Wiley's website and learn more about A Bad Night’s Sleep.

The Page 69 Test: The Last Striptease.

My Book, The Movie: The Last Striptease.

--Marshal Zeringue