Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sarahlee Lawrence

Sarahlee Lawrence was born and raised on her family ranch in Terrebonne, Oregon. After a decade spent studying, traveling, river rafting, and earning an MS in Environmental Science and Writing from the University of Montana, she returned to the ranch, where she owns and operates an organic vegetable farm.

Her new memoir is River House.

Recently I asked Lawrence what she was reading. Her reply:
I read only non-fiction, mostly first-person memoir or the like. I am a slow reader and enjoy poetic prose from the late Ellen Meloy in Anthropology of Turquoise, Terry Tempest Williams’ in Red, or Edward Abbey’s Desert Solitaire.

The book on my bed stand is Harriet Fasenfest’s Householder’s Guide to the Universe. She’s full of vim and vigor and gets life on the page with all its complexities. Tough questions and tough answers.

Frankly, I don’t read enough. Between farming, family, rivers, and the drafts of my own book, I have very little time for sitting still or reading for pleasure. I admire anyone who does.
Read an excerpt from River House and learn more about the book at the publisher's website.

Learn more about Sarahlee Lawrence's organic vegetable farm.

--Marshal Zeringue