Friday, June 27, 2008

Hillary Rosner

Hillary Rosner is the co-author, with David Bach, of the New York Times bestseller Go Green, Live Rich: 50 Simple Ways to Save the Earth and Get Rich Trying.

Recently, I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
I've got a bad habit of reading multiple books at once (well, not literally at once, but you know what I mean), so there's always a big stack by my bedside, some of which I confess I will never make it through. I'm about halfway done with The Eternal Frontier: An Ecological History of North America and Its Peoples by Tim Flannery. Flannery's the rare combination of a scientist and a great general-audience writer. This book isn't quite as good as The Weather Makers, his more recent one about climate change, but it's a pretty fascinating journey through the history of life on our continent.

I just bought Ed Park's recently published first novel, Personal Days, which is supposed to be loosely based on his years at the Village Voice, where we were colleagues. Planning to start it tonight, if I've got anything left in me after reading sections of two books by Paul R. Ehrlich (The Population Explosion and One with Nineveh), which I just took out of the library because I'm reviewing his newest addition to the "we are in huge trouble thanks to overpopulation, overconsumption, and general bad behavior" genre, The Dominant Animal. No wonder I never want to get out of bed.

I've also got Best American Science and Nature Writing 2007 close at hand, though I'm unfortunately almost done with it and I think there are about six more months until the 2008 edition.

And next on my novel list will, I think, be Janelle Brown's All We Ever Wanted Was Everything.
Hillary Rosner is a journalist specializing in science and environmental issues. Her work has appeared recently in the New York Times, Popular Science, Men’s Journal, Seed, Audubon, Town & Country, and 5280. She has been a contributing editor at New York and a senior editor at the Village Voice, and has also written for Ski, Wired, Prevention, High Country News, Grist.org, NewWest.net, The Industry Standard, and many other publications. She was also a contributor to Al Gore’s bestselling book An Inconvenient Truth, and to The Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook.

Visit Hillary Rosner's website.

--Marshal Zeringue